The Blind Sports NS Tandem Bike Club loves nothing more than connecting people with cycling, whether it’s been years or you’ve never been on a bike before.
It’s a fun way for those with any level of vision loss to get active outdoors, with family and friends old & new.
We’re hosting a Try Tandem Biking & Volunteer Orientation event on Saturday, June 22, 2019! Details here.
How Does it Work?
- We make a have of tandem bikes available for short & long term loan as well as access to a roster of trained volunteer pilots.
- A tandem bike is a bicycle built for two.
- A person with vision loss rides in back and is referred to a stoker.
- The pilot rides up front and steers and changes gears, while communicating effectively with and guiding the stoker.
- Our volunteer pilots are experienced, confident, cyclists, who’ve been trained in tandem cycling best practices, sight loss etiquette, sighted guide, and more.
- Our fleet of bikes are equipped with bells, lights, reflectors, and racks. They are consistently maintained by an experienced bicycle technician.
Tandem Bike Loans
- If you’re blind or visually impaired, you can loan a bike, take it where you like, and engage one of our volunteer pilots or your own pilot, can be a friend or family member, but should always be someone you trust.
- We offer training to get you familiar with tandem biking, best practices, and the chance to give tandem biking a try in a safe environment with experienced cyclists with & without vision loss. It’s free for anyone with vision loss try tandem biking.
- We offer helmets with each loan at no charge.
- An annual $30 Membership is required for insurance and liability purchases and gives you access to our tandem bikes, training, and our volunteer pilot roster for the whole year.
Group Bike Rides
- From about April to October, we host super fun group rides along the Chain of Lakes, BLT, St Margaret’s Bay Trails and more.
- We offer shorter rides for those just getting their feet wet to rides that take all day or all weekend and it’s free to participate.
- Our bike technician is on hand at each group ride!
- We LOVE the Bike and Bean and take the 50 kilometre round trip ride from Halifax at least a few times each season.
Are you an experienced and confident cyclist? Want to help us share the joy of cycling with those with vision loss, while having a great time? We sometimes need help transporting these bikes, which usually requires a truck. If you want to join the roster for individual rides, group rides, or as a driver, we’d love to hear from you!
Get in Touch
Contact Jennie, Tandem Bike Club Coordinator
Call or Text 902-449-0320